This is the web site for the IEEE Working Group (WG) P1016,
developers of IEEE Standard for Information Technology
— Systems Design — Software Design Descriptions,
the revision to IEEE Std 1016–1998 (Recommended
Practice for Software Design Descriptions).
The goals for this revision were:
- raise IEEE 1016 from a Recommended Practice to a full
- harmonize with design practices in Software Engineering Body of
- eliminate any conflicts with ISO|IEEE|EIA 12207;
- harmonize with IEEE Std 1320.1 (IDEF0) and IEEE
Std 1320.2 (IDEF1X); and
- address component-based design and other emerging design
- April 2010: IEEE Std 1016 is under consideration for
submission to ISO for fast-track balloting as an international
- 21 Mar 2009:
P1016 was approved as a revision standard by the IEEE-SA
Standards Board on 19 March 2009. It will be published as
IEEE Std 1016–2009™ Standard for Information Technology
— Systems Design — Software Design Descriptions.
- 9 Sep 2008: A draft of P1016 has been submitted to IEEE
for Mandatory Editorial Coordination; the editor will make the
changes required by IEEE to create a balloting version. The
ballot group has been formed. Keith Middleton will serve as
WG acting chair.
- 12 Mar 2008:
This is an update on the status of IEEE P1016. Dr Jovanovic
has resigned as chair (due to family matters). Rich Hilliard agreed
to stay on as secretary/editor to help get the document to a
To that end, please review the last draft (IEEE P1016/D5.0,
dated: 12 December 2005) for any changes we should make before
going to ballot. The draft may be downloaded here:
If you have comments, please send them to the
no later than 4 April 2008.
- 7 Dec 2006: Rehosted the P1016 web site.
Thanks to DSCI
for these resources, and a special thank you to
Pithecanthropus Consulting, Inc.
for many years of support in hosting the P1016 site.
- 9 Aug 2002: P1016 D1.0 released to reviewers
- 1 Feb 2002: Semi-annual report to SESC released
- 7 Nov 2001: PAR and Project Plan approved by SESC EXCOM
- 3 Nov 2001: Initiated Call for Reviewers
- 2 Nov 2001: P1016 Project Plan submitted SESC EXCOM
- 15 Oct 2001: P1016 PAR submitted to SESC Management Board
- William Bartholomew
- Ted Byrne
- Bob Cook
- Rich Hilliard, editor
- Vladan V Jovanovic, chair emeritus
- Philippe Kruchten
- Kathy Land
- Keith R. Middleton, acting chair
- James Moore
- Basil Sherlund, chair emeritus
- Ira Sachs